In the late 19th century, German soldiers and sailors could send letters of up to 60 g weight free of postage, if the envelope was marked "Soldatenbrief - Eigene Angelegenheit des Empfängers" (Soldier letter - personal for recipient).
Several printers printed stamps that could be used by the soldiers and sailors in lieu of hand-writing the required language. These stamps were sold in stationery stores and service canteens.
This stamp was printed by H.J. Dauth of Frankfurt am Main in 1884.